Sunday, July 5, 2009

Crab snacks



One thing I will say about Thailand - locals like snacks, and locals pay attention to detail when they feel its important to.  So Thailand excels at fine craftsmanship, and also at fine craftsmanship of snack foods.  

Check out these crab shaped snacks.  In the States, I have seen such attention to detail in a packaged food only in macaroni and cheese products (thanks, Kraft!).  And though the absence of boxed macaroni and cheese in Thailand disturbs me (I am an artisan when it comes to its preparation), I must say that I am consoled by the easy availability of such high quality processed snack foods.

And remember - snacks in a bag from a grocery store will always rank a distant, distant second to snacks procured on the streets of Bangkok.  So for how wonderful this crab shaped snack food is, think of something 10 times as wonderful, and that is Bangkok street food.

3 comments:

Matthew Bey said...

it looks like i had a korean version of that snack.
http://www.revolutionsf.com/bb/weblog_entry.php?e=1893

Chris said...

yes, indeed it appears you have!

surely you didn't mean to use 'crab' and 'grease' as pejoratives.... while reading your post, i found myself thinking 'you had me at crab'.

Matthew Bey said...

i would never use crab or grease as a pejorative. you know me better than that!