Monday, July 6, 2009

Wonderful Lebanese in Thailand - Beirut Restaurant!


I grew up at a time when Lebanon and Beirut was synonymous with destruction, ruin, and fallen US marines.  I am old enough to remember pictures on tv of a bomb crater in Beirut that used to be a barracks for US peacekeeping troops.

So imagine my fascination when I studied history, and learned of the history and culture of Lebanon.  And when I read 'Fooled by Randomness', where the author, being from Lebanon, talked of Lebanon being the home of such a deep and rich and old culture of civilized, educated, tolerant people.

Nevertheless, when our Australian friends in Bangkok invited me to a Lebanese restaurant, my first thought was - does it taste like broken dreams, occupation, and dashed hopes - or just like humus?

As it turns out, it tastes like humus, but they spell it wrong.  Oh, and it is also one of the best (and, for the value and location, most reasonably priced) food experiences I've had in Bangkok. It's clear why it has three locations already.  So if you're in Bangkok and want some foreign food, get yourself immediately to Beirut restaurant:

And fix your menus, guys - seriously, there are enough alternate spellings, this is one you shouldn't get wrong.

No comments: