Friday, April 3, 2009

At the DMV... er... I mean the Land Transport Office



Sam and I went to the Thai version of the DMV the other day and procured ourselves a couple of licenses to drive.  We are now legal throughout the Kingdom.

It was an interesting experience.  We didn't have to take written tests (whew), but we did have to pass a color blindness test, a response time test, a depth perception test, and a peripheral vision test.  It was actually quite a comprehensive process.

A couple observations:
1. Thai Land Transport Office workers are *way* more friendly and helpful than folks at the US DMVs I've been to.  Apparently they had a bit of a reorganization a while back to improve service.  The states I've which I've lived in the US would do well to consider the same.
2. Sweet colors on that card.
3. Lots of queues.  We probably waited in line in about 6 or 7 queues at least.  They went quick, but queueing was definitely the thing to do.
4. Why "land transport" you ask?  Well, remember that Bangkok is like Venice - canals everywhere (along with a large, busy, functional river).  So licenses to operate vehicles on land are separated from licenses to operate vehicles on water.  Neat, huh?
5. You can't show your teeth in official pictures here.  So driver's licenses, work permits - you can smile, but no teeth.  That totally throws me for a loop - I don't know how to not smile with teeth but still look happy (and not sarcastic).  So instead I try to remove emotion from my face, and end up looking unhappy.  I should practice in the mirror.  Really - I'm happy - I just can't smile for these pictures.  They made me retake my work permit pictures (after all the work I did getting a picture that made me look joyous - agh!).  Sam's definitely got it down - she looks valiant, defiant, courageous.  Positively dashing.  I have much to learn.

I would have loved to take picture of everything in the Land Transport Office, but that's not really the place to be taking pictures.  You'll have to settle for pictures of the results of our visit.

No comments: