Monday, April 20, 2009

Cambodia - Ground control to Angkor Thom







So the whole time we were at Angkor Thom that David Bowie Song was going through my head.  You know - "Ground control to Major Tom..."  Every time we saw something cool, David Bowie would sing in my head "This is ground control to Major Tom".  Talk about distracting, especially since Sam had no idea what I was talking about.  I'd turn to her, and say "This is ground control to Angkor Thom" and she'd give me the 'whatever' look.  After 11 years of marriage I guess she's used to me saying strange things.  "Tell my wife I love her very much she knows..."

So Angkor Thom is huge - even huger than Angkor Wat (and keep in mind, kids, Angkor Wat was once a city of a million people, at a time when even the largest cities in Spain or Italy had at most half that number).  "For here... Am I sitting in a tin can..." 

Here are the gates to Angkor Thom, and a bit of the wall around it.  The dudes looking like they're playing tug of war with a multi-headed snake are really just churning the ocean of milk.  It's a creation of the world thing.  Sam felt bad for one that was missing his head, so she filled in as best she could.  The world has to be made, you know.

"Can you hear me, Angkor Thom..." and in we went, under the gate with the friendly looking fellow smiling down at us, and David Bowie urging us onward.


4 comments:

Jennifer Covington said...

And,yes, I too, have now had this song in my head for the last two days.

Chris said...

Excellent! Well, you know what they say - take your protein pills and put your helmet on.

Unknown said...

Terrific pictures Chris. The headless guy actually has a story behind his headlessness. He is Rahu...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahu

Not to be messed with.

I am having a blast reading all your posts today.

Chris said...

Ah, Rahu. I won't cross him.

I'm guessing either they're playing tug of war with a snake, or they're churning the ocean of milk. Lots of churning of oceans of milk at those temples in Siem Reap.

It seems a lot of Indian mythology/religion made its way to Cambodia and Thailand - the imagery is everywhere.